Solutions for Protecting You
Mercantile Bank is committed to helping its customers maintain a safe and secure online experience. We've established a number of security measures that help protect your information online.
Extended Validation Secure Socket Layer (EV SSL) Certificates
Mercantile Bank has purchased an Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificate for the website, which provides an additional layer of protection. This enables customers to trust that the Mercantile Bank site is what it claims to be, rather than a fraudulent mirror site operated by perpetrators of phishing schemes. This is new technology designed specifically to address widespread phishing schemes that have been targeting the financial services industry.
When you visit a site with this new EV SSL Certificate, new high-security browsers will trigger the address bar to turn green and display the name of the organization listed in the certificate as well as the Certificate Authority as shown below:
If the green bar and locked padlock are missing when trying to reach Mercantile's website. DO NOT enter any login information such as your user ID and password. Double check that you typed the bank's URL correctly. Feel free to call customer service for assistance if the green bar is not visible.
Secure Online & Mobile Banking Login
Using Multi-Factor Authentication is one of the more secure ways you can log into Mercantile Bank's online and mobile banking systems. You'll log in using your login ID, Password and a six-digit single-use "secure access code".
Mercantile's secure sign-in ensures only authorized individuals can access their financial information within Mercantile's online services, providing you with an extra layer of security. When logging in to online and mobile banking for the first time or any time from an unregistered device, you will be asked for a six-digit, single-use Secure Access Code (SAC) delivered outside of the online/mobile banking session via an automated phone call or test message in order to complete your authentication into our service.
Online Banking Resources
ULTIMATE ID+® is your identity theft solution service. A theft of your identity, credit, or personal information can be devastating. If it happens to you, your ULTIMATE ID+® team will deliver the most comprehensive restoration service available anywhere.
- 3 Bureau Credit Monitoring - Credit monitoring by Experian, Equifax and TransUnion Credit Bureaus.
- Breach IQ - View breach history and vulnerabilities.
- Internet Monitoring - Monitors the black market and social networking websites for your personally identifiable information.
- Credit Score Simulator - See how your credit score would change based on a variety of future actions or events.
- SSN, Address, & Driver License Monitoring
- Healthcare Monitoring - Monitors the internet for your personally identifiable healthcare information.
- Credential Vault - Record critical information you may need to access in the event of a lost or stolen wallet.
- Instant Inquiry Alert - Alerts you when a creditor requests your report at TransUnion score tracker. Receive monthly alerts when a new score is available to view.
- Remediation - Access to 3G Fully Managed Identity Fraud research, remediation, and recovery services. Professional recovery advocates will manage your recovery process to help restore your name and credit to pre-event status.
ULTIMATE ID+® is available as a benefit with our MercPerks checking account, as well as a stand alone service. For more information, contact your local branch or call us at 1.800.453.8700.
Credit Monitoring and the ULTIMATE ID+® program begins when you successfully validate your identity to complete the activation process. An active email address is required. To report an identity theft incident or for assistance obtaining your activation code, please call 1.877.279.6338 and speak with a dedicated ULTIMATE ID+® recovery advocate. Certain restrictions and limitations apply. Visit mymercperks.com for complete terms and conditions and program eligibility. No one can prevent all identity theft.
Set up alerts and stay informed — anytime, anywhere.
Easily monitor your accounts via email or text message. With Mercantile Bank alerts you decide what alerts are important to you and where you want to receive them.
Features & Benefits
Set up Mercantile Bank alerts to be notified of key activity on your Mercantile accounts.
- Receive notification of your balances and important activity
- Know when your direct deposit has arrived
- Get faster notification when overdrafts have occurred
- Know when a check has cleared your account
- Receive notification when an external or funds transfer has been initiated
A variety of automatic Security Alerts will advise you of important activity within your online banking services. There are several other Security Alerts you can turn on or off. Security Alerts are automatically sent to your primary email address and are also available via text message.
Already using online banking?
- Log into Online Banking
- Then, click on the "Settings" then "Alerts" link from the navigation menu.
New to Online Banking?
- Card usage controls: Establish spending limits to allow transactions up to a certain dollar amount and decline transactions when amounts exceed pre-defined thresholds. Transactions can also be monitored or controlled for specific merchant categories such as gas, hotel, travel, restaurants, groceries or electronic stores.
- Card on/off setting: When the card is "on," transactions are allowed in accordance with the usage control settings you've established. When the card is "off," no purchases or withdrawals are approved until the card is turned back "on." This control can be used to disable a lost or stolen card.
- Location-based controls: Restrict transactions to merchants located within a certain range of your location (using your phone's GPS); transactions requested outside of the specified area can be declined.
- Fraud protection: Report or restrict PIN and signature transactions, enabling you to manage, track and report specific types of transactions and quickly detect unauthorized activity.
- Interactive alerts: Real-time alerts can be sent when a card is used, when a transaction is approved and exceeds any of the permitted use policies, or when a card transaction has been attempted but is declined.
- Financial features: Conduct limited card-related transactions wherever you are, any time of the day, including real-time balance inquiries and locating ATMs.
- Travel Plan: Notify Mercantile of your travel plans within the app.
NOTE: MercDebit is only available within MercMobile, it cannot be accessed on the desktop.
- Turn cards on/off to enable or disable usage
- Set controls and alerts by channel (in-store, online, mobile, ATM, etc.)
- Set transaction spend limits
- Select geographic locations where the card can be used
- Set specific merchant categories
- View recent transaction history
- Receive real-time alerts
The sooner you report fraud or identity theft, the faster Mercantile Bank, other financial institutions and the authorities can take steps to assist you.
If you are a victim of identity theft, it's important that you take action immediately. If you have accounts at Mercantile Bank, contact your branch or account representative, or call our toll-free number 1-800-453-8700 right away to report the situation.
If you believe you have become a victim of fraud, please do the following:
- Call Mercantile Bank and let us know your identity has been compromised or stolen.
- Call any other financial institution(s) you deal with and make them aware of the situation.
- Call your credit card companies and ask that access to your accounts be restricted. Open new accounts if necessary.
- Check through your personal documents to determine what items are missing.
- If checks are missing from your checkbook, issue stop payments on each check.
- If your driver's license is stolen, call your local Department of Motor Vehicles office.
- If your Social Security Card is stolen, call the Social Security Administration.
- Ask to have your account numbers, PINs, and passwords changed immediately.
- Ask your bank, brokerage firms and credit card companies to review transactions on all of your accounts.
- File a report with the police and get a copy of it for your records.
- Document what happened when and to whom you spoke with.
If your Mercantile Bank personal checking account is enrolled in the ULTIMATE ID® program, contact a Resolution Specialist at 1-877-279-6338.
If you have any additional questions or concerns about fraud or identity theft, call Mercantile Bank at 1-800-453-8700.
What to do if you receive a Suspicious Message
If you suspect that you've RECEIVED a fraudulent e-mail that appears to be from Mercantile Bank:
- Do NOT respond
- Do NOT click on any links
- Do NOT provide any personal information
- Forward the email to Mercantile Bank email@example.com
- Delete the email
If you responded or disclosed your personal information to a possible fraudulent message, notify Mercantile Bank's customer service team immediately at 1-800-453-8700 or visit us at a local branch.